Nov 12, 2010

De Emblem Cantonese Style 得記港式


Profile

Website: N/A
Price Range:   $
Accepts Credit Cards: no
Take out: yes
Waiter Service: no
Outdoor seating:  yes
Alcohol: no

Rating

Food Quality: 4 out of 5
Decor:  3.5 out of 5
Service: 3 out of 5
Overall: 3.5 out of 5
Recommendation: Clean place for affordable numb-spicy stinky tofu.

Review
Hidden in an alley nearby the Gong Guan Night market is De Emblem Cantonese Style restaurant. It is quite a confusing name, but they sell numb-spicy stinky tofu in self-heating bowl. The basic pot of stinky tofu runs for about 60NT, and you can add various ingredients like lamb slices, mushrooms, and noodles for around 50 NT per item. I came here for the numb-spicy stinky tofu, and it really did its job. I prefer the braised stinky tofu over the fried version, and the ones they serve here are flavorful enough to prompt me to return for another numbing session in the future.
I only ordered medium spicy and it was almost too hot to handle. I choked and teared up throughout eating the mushrooms and tofu, but it hurt so good. I must have used at least 12 of those dinky taiwanese tissues to wipe my snot and tears. After eating one tofu, I already felt the tingling numbness crawl from my stomach to my face. My cheeks were pulsating and numb in the middle of the second tofu, so by the third tofu I was already used to the pain and mostly enjoyed the deep notes of fermented tofu and their soy sauce based seasoning. For only 60 NT, this is a great snack during the winter. Next time I will add duck blood, pig intestine, and lamb slices and eat this with rice.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...